Ugly Christmas Sweater Party Ideas
When throwing a Christmas party, sometimes it is a challenge to come up with unique and fun ideas for a theme. One theme that is sure to generate a lot of laughs is an ugly Christmas sweater party. Ideas for this type of party abound.
Ugly Echos of Christmas Past
Everyone with an aunt or two has probably received that dreaded gift. Yes, you know the one I’m talking about . . . the ugly Christmas sweater. The gift that is always awkward to receive and even more awkward to wear.
It starts with the present shaped in the all too familiar garment box wrapped in paper from the last century (you know the type, olive green with glitter gold stags topped with a bow from a bag.) As you catch sight of the box, your trepidation begins. You know that whatever this well meaning family member has bought, it will be:
- A. The wrong size, (Why is it that it always seems to be three sizes too big? Are they trying to tell you something?)
- B. Two decades out of style.
- C. Hideously Ugly
- D. All of the above.
After you mentally brace yourself and prep the words, “Oh I LOVE it” in response to whatever the ominous box contains, you cautiously open the present and there it is . . . the ugly Christmas sweater.
Most ugly Christmas sweaters come in the form of cardigan sweaters for women. But men do not have to feel left out of the fun . . . oh no no! There is no gender discrimination when it comes to hideous holiday knitted wear.
As a matter of fact, the ugly Christmas sweater was given new luster after Kansas City resident, Ramsey Mohsen. Since 2005, Mohsen and friends have celebrated the holidays in questionable style with an ugly Christmas sweater party. It was such a hit, one that was looked forward to all year, that in 2008 they decided to share their holiday fun with others and do some good as well.
Their little Christmas party among friends turned into the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party charity event benefiting the Operation Breakthrough. The first year raised over $7,000 for the charity. Now that is some goodwill
Throwing an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party
So does this sound like fun? Throwing an ugly Christmas sweater party is frighteningly easy. Simply send out an invite, let your friends know that ugly sweaters are required attired, and let the fun begin.
Now of course, while the sweaters alone will most likely be a good icebreaker, it’s always a good idea to have a few more games on hand.
- The ugly Christmas sweater fashion show: Have each party goer write the highlights of their sweater on a 3×5 card. Clear a walkway, gather everyone around, play some corny Christmas music, have your guests strut their stuff as an emcee reads their intro. Vote on the truly ugliest Christmas sweater of the bunch.
- Worst Christmas Gift Swap: A white elephant gift exchange is always fun, but take it to a new level by having your guests bring the worst Christmas gift they received the previous year to swap.
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Photo Opp: Taking pictures of this collection is an absolute must. Create a photo opp area, by the Christmas tree for example, to let your guests mark the memories.
Where to Find an Ugly Christmas Sweater
If you are seriously asking this question . . . congratulations on having friends and family with taste. If you are sweater deprived, there are many . . . MANY . . . people who would love to have you to take theirs off their hands. While you can buy new Christmas sweaters, there are countless places you can find them second hand.
- Your local online yard sale
- Your local Goodwill or other used clothing store
- Friends with aunts.
If you have an ugly sweater or host an ugly Christmas sweater party, I want to hear about it. Send a recap along with photographic evidence to info (at) mypartyplanningsecrets (dot) com.
If you’d like to get more holiday and party planning ideas, check out my ebookthat includes step by step instructions for throwing fabulous parties.
Cheers and holiday wishes!
Get your free Party Planning Mini-Course Here
Get your free email mini-course on throwing great parties ...
Just enter your first name and e-mail address in the form below, and you'll receive your first lesson immediately in your email inbox.
**Double-check your email for accuracy to ensure you receive your free mini course.
Privacy Assured: Your email address is never shared with anyone